Hi, Cynthia, we use Trac here, both for integrating code management and
how it relates to issue tracking, but also for project management. We've
recently rolled out multiple Trac instances to help other organizational
groups (mainly higher-level committees) with project tracking and wiki
space. The cool thing about that is Trac can support inter-trac links, so
issue numbers and wiki links on one Trac instance can be linked to other
Trac instances. It's a pretty versatile tool. I'm always impressed with
its performance, even on modest hardware. As Mike noted, Trac is a
Python/wsgi app. It doesn't do e-mail ticket submission out of the box,
though that wasn't a requirement for us. As far as dislikes, my main pet
peeve now, after recently upgrading to a newer version, is sorting out
exactly how to preserve the same feature set our developers are used to.
In other words, it's kind of a pain to upgrade.

To your specific questions:

> 1) minimal effort in install/setup i.e. ready to use out of the box

Yes, Trac is packaged for RedHat (in the EPEL repository for RHEL users),
and Debian-based distributions (Ubuntu et. al.) I've heard it runs well in
Windows, can't vouch for that.

> 2) small scale is okay, we have a very small team

We started with Trac just because our small group of developers (all two
of us at the time) needed a way to track issues and how they relate to
code changes. Trac did everything we needed in that regard, and it did it
all with a wiki flair. On top of all that, it was wicked fast on the same
server that was dragging along with a big Perl-based app.

> 3) ideally, have an area for documentation and issue creation via email

Trac has a wiki for this. There is a plugin for issue creation via e-mail,
but I haven't tried it.

--
HARDY POTTINGER <[log in to unmask]>
University of Missouri Library Systems