Hi Brian,

---
--What project management software are you using?

--What made you choose the system?

---
Some of our IT Projects use MS Project only, and for some groups that
works fine.

Nearly two years ago we installed Confluence as an internal, collaborative
tool for our staff. Shortly after launch, I worked with our Digital
Library Program (DLP) manager, Cristela Garcia-Spitz, to create a simple
PM template using a small set of Confluence plugins. The template was
intentionally designed to be generic enough so it could cover a wide range
of projects. We also added a field to associate a project to one, or more,
of our strategic directions.

Since other groups in the organization are now also using the PM template
in Confluence, I was able to create a Projects Dashboard which allows
staff to see the all the current and completed projects related to the
strategic directions of our organization. While it's not 100%
comprehensive, it does give a really interesting view into where a lot of
the workload is focused.

Our DLP and development group also use JIRA, which we hope to eventually
integrate with Confluence to enrich the PM process.

--What made you choose the system?

We chose Confluence because it was a system we were already using and the
simplicity of use allowed us to include a wide audience of users.

--Has the system met all of your needs? If not, where does it fail?

I wouldn't want to speak for all staff using the system, but I think along
with project specific documentation it is meeting our current needs as a
whole. One downside is our dependence on the Confluence plugins to make
all this work. It is currently holding us up from migrating to Confluence
4.

Great thread, it's very interesting to hear what others are doing.

Cheers,

Matt Critchlow
Web Technical Manager
UC San Diego Libraries