Our Blacklight-powered catalog (https://catalyst.library.jhu.edu/) comes up
a lot in google search results (try gil scott heron circle of stone).

Some numbers:

59% of our total catalog traffic comes from google searches
0.04% of our total catalog traffic comes from yahoo searches
0.03% of our total catalog traffic comes from bing searches

For context, 32.96% of our total catalog traffic is direct traffic and
referrals from all of the library websites combined.

Anecdotally, it would appear that bing (and bing-using yahoo) seem to
drastically play down catalog records in their results. We're not doing
anything to favor a particular search engine; we have a completely open
robots.txt file.

Google regularly indexes our catalog. Every couple days or so. I haven't
checked in awhile.

We're not doing any fancy SEO here (though, I'd like to implement some of
the microdata stuff).  It's just a function of how the site works. We link a
lot of our catalog results to further searches (clicking on an author name
takes you to an author search with that name, etc).  Google *loves* that
type of intertextual website linking (see also: Wikipedia). We also have
stable URLs. Search URLs will always return searches with those parameters,
item URLs are based on an ID that does not change.

All of that good stuff doesn't help us with bing, though. ...But I'm not
really concerned with remedying that, right this moment.

-Sean