This links to thoughts I've had about linked data and finding a way to
use library holdings over the Web. Obviously, bibliographic data alone
is a full service: people want to get the stuff once they've found out
that such stuff exists. So how do we get users from the retrieval of a
bibliographic record to a place where they have access to the stuff?

I see two options: the WorldCat model, where people get sent to a
central database where they input their zip code, or a URL-like model
where they get a link on retrievals that has knowledge about their
preferred institution and access.

I have no idea if the latter is feasible on a true "web scale," but it
would be my ideal solution. We know that search engines keep track of
your location and tailor retrievals based on that. Could libraries get
into that loop?

kc

--
Karen Coyle