I tend to agree with Jonathan Rochkind that having every library's bib
record turn up as a Google snippet would be unwelcome. Better to
mediate the access to local library copies with something more
generic.

OCLC's WorldCat.org does get crawled and indexed in Google, though
WorldCat.org hits don't always make the first result screen. One
simple solution for libraries whose holdings are reflected in WorldCat
to get more visibility through Google would be to simplify the
(already fairly simple) task of specifying worldcat.org as the domain
for a search. WorldCat in turn is able to rank its display of holdings
by proximity to the searcher, so locally, I can see which of the many
regional libraries around me in the Twin Cities have copies of a title
of interest. And since I have borrowing rights for most of the public
libraries, that's great.

But there's a catch--when WorldCat redirects a search to the selected
local library catalog, it targets the OCLC record number. If the
holding library has included the OCLC record number in its indexed
data, the user goes right to the desired record. If not, the user is
left wondering why the title of interest turned into some mysterious
number and the search failed.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
Technical Services, University Libraries