Tod,

I've written a bit on my blog about how search engines are starting to
effect relevance for individual users based on their browsing history,
preferences, profiles, and social network. These cues could work
better than crude geographic location based boosting to get users to
relevant and appropriate pages.

I think we could begin to see more local data like library catalogs
begin to make it to the first page of results based on these criteria.
I also explore how embedded semantic markup like Microdata and
Schema.org may come into play to make this more effective for library
websites and catalogs.

http://jronallo.github.com/blog/library-catalog-pages-ranking-in-search-engines/

Jason