**Manager, Resource Discovery and Access**

**Information and Document Resource Service**

Indeterminate Position

Classification: MPA-6 ($81,423 - $100,159)

(bilingual imperative: CBC/CBC)

Closing Date: 2012/03/05

The **Library of Parliament **is a nonpartisan employer proving stimulating
and rewarding work. We recognize that our employees are our most important
asset and, as such, we offer excellent benefits, 4 weeks' vacation leave,
learning opportunities to support professional and career development,
competitive salaries and more!

Our **Information and Document Resource Service (IDRS) **provides high-
quality, substantive and timely information and documentation to Parliament
and its staff by building, managing, preserving and optimizing access to the
Library's information assets.

The **IDRS **is currently looking for a Manager in the Knowledge Organization
and Discovery division to coordinate and develop Resource Discovery and Access
activities.

The Manager ensures the development, implementation and enhancement of the
Library of Parliament's Integrated Library System (ILS), web-based tools and
other systems that facilitate the discovery of and access to the Library's
vast print and electronic information resources and databases. The Manager
establishes and leads the development and implementation of a training
strategy and plan to address the different learning needs of various clients.
The Manager ensures that the Section's professionals enable and enhance
clients' competencies with the ILS and tools supporting resource discovery and
access. The incumbent is responsible for day-to-day planning and guides the
development and orientation of the ILS, electronic tools and applications, and
ensures effective services to parliamentary clients and the public as well as
control of collection resources. The incumbent enhances operational capacity
and efficiency in addressing clients' requests or needs for the rapid
discovery of and access to all required information resources. The incumbent
establishes and manages the policies and procedures that guide the
reservation, loan, interlibrary loan (ILL), circulation, control and return of
the Library's information resources, and related services to clients.

If you have leadership qualities and can contribute to managing innovation and
mobilizing a team to adopt new practices, your application will be given
serious consideration.

**Our ideal candidate demonstrates the following competencies:**

  * Organizational and parliamentary knowledge
  * Analytical ability
  * Strategic orientation and leadership
  * Managing resources and priorities
  * Client orientation
  * Communication
  * Cooperation and partnerships
  * Change management
  * Supporting employees
  * Employee development
  * Professionalism

**Our ideal candidate had the following knowledge:**

  * New generation discovery tools (faceted search, metasearch, federated search, etc.)
  * Interactive online training methods
  * Technologies related to the training and promotion of services and collections
  * Principles governing interlibrary loan and circulation policies
  * Implementation of systems allowing users to discover resources from various suppliers
  * Implementation and management of the Integrated Library System
  * Use of interactive tools to actively promote resources
  * Web 2.0 tools, collaborative workspaces, social media
  * Awareness of new challenges in management and information sciences

**To be considered you must have:**

  * A Master's degree in Information Sciences or Library and Information Sciences from a recognized university
  * Experience in integrating various collections to simplify research and discovery
  * Experience in implementing federated research tools
  * Experience in analyzing and quickly understanding the relevance of a function or task to determine how to optimize it, taking into account impacts at the system level
  * Experience in promoting library collections and electronic resources to a diverse clientele
  * Experience in project management
  * Recent experience with technologies, integrated systems and collaborative tools
  * Experience in the development and implementation of policies and guidelines is an asset
  * Experience in a leadership role

**Candidates retained in this selection process will be required to obtain:**

  * A successful second-language evaluation (bilingual staffing-imperative: CBC/CBC)
  * A successful pre-employment screening
  *

**Additional information:**

  * This selection process is open to employees of the Senate, the House of Commons, the Library of Parliament, the Office of the Senate Ethics Officer, the Office of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner, the public service and the public.
  * A written exam may be administered.
  * Qualified candidates from this selection process may be considered for temporary or indeterminate positions requiring similar competencies at the Library of Parliament.
  * Satisfactory references are an essential condition of appointment.
  * Education and experience requirements will be used as part of the initial selection process.
  * Proof of education will be required.
  * We are committed to employment equity.

To apply, please send your C.V. and cover letter clearly indicating how you
meet each of the requirements of the position no later than March 5, 2012.
Please quote **Competition 11-I-26B**:

**By email:** [[log in to unmask]](mailto:[log in to unmask])

**By fax: **613-995-9582

**By mail:**

50 O'Connor Street

Library of Parliament

Human Resources Division

Ottawa, ON K1A 0A9

Please address questions to Human Resources at 613-996-2424 or
[[log in to unmask]](mailto:[log in to unmask]). **We thank all those who apply.
Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted****.**

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/812/