From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joshua Welker
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] PHP SUSHI client

Hi everyone, first post to this listserv.

I just started working on a SUSHI harvester client as an addition to a data management program I've built primarily with PHP/MySQL. There are a few projects I've seen listed by the NISO SUSHI organization for doing this, but they are all in Java or .NET. I am not very familiar with those languages and want my app to stay in the realm of PHP for continuity sake, so the roll-your-own approach is the only way to go.

I am having trouble understanding how WSDL and SOAP object methods interact with my code. I know from reading the SUSHI protocol standard that there is a method called GetReport that is used to retrieve the report. What I am having a hard time understanding is how I can pass data into the GetReport method.

For example, I have the following code in a class:

$client = new SoapClient($this->sushiURL); $this->response = $client->GetReport(???);

Where the ??? is, I need to be passing in the basic parameters of a SUSHI request: customer ID, requestor ID, date range, etc. As an alternative, I guess I could do it "longhand" and pass in an entire XML file, but I'd like to learn the standard way using the WSDL method as specified in the protocol definition.

This is somewhat unrelated, but is it possible to limit the COUNTER data returned to a particular database? Most vendors such as EBSCO allow you to limit COUNTER reports to a particular database in their admin modules, but I don't see any way in the SUSHI standard to specify one.

If anyone with experience rolling a SUSHI client could give me some pointers here, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Josh Welker
Electronic/Media Services Librarian
College Liaison
University Libraries