We have actually already discussed that case.  Right now, it is exactly as
you described.  But, those cases cannot explain how 50,000 people can hit
the home page in one day and 48,850 are dropping off.

People might be interested in the solution we came up with for the home
page drop-off problem in a huge place like this:

At first, we had talked about filtering by IP range.  But, that would be a
maintenance nightmare, and it wouldn't allow us to track computers that
did not have the website as the homepage, like staff, mobile, etc.

Then, we realized that we do have control over the machine images in the
public areas.  And, we could set up aliases for the library home page,
like library.yale.edu/image1, library.yale.edu/area2.  So, we could set
the browser home pages to the aliases, and we could tell exactly which
request were coming in from our public computers, and wether they really
were dropping of or not.

--
Clayton "Andrew" Predmore
Manager, Web Operations