NCSU has done some work you might be interested in.  See this article:

Lessons in Public Touchscreen Development
by Andreas K. Orphanides

In October 2010, the NCSU Libraries debuted its first public touchscreen information kiosk, designed to provide on-demand access to useful and commonly consulted real-time displays of library information. This article presents a description of the hardware and software development process, as well as the rationale behind a variety of design and implementation decisions. This article also provides an analysis of usage of the touchscreen since its debut, including a numerical analysis of most popular content areas, and a heatmap-based analysis of user interaction patterns with the kiosk's interface components.

http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/5832

-Tod

Tod Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Systems Librarian