Ethan,

The semantics do seem odd there. It doesn't seem like a skos:Concept
would typically link to a metadata record about -- if I'm following you
right -- a specific coin. Is this sort of a FRBRish approach, where your
skos:Concept is similar to the abstraction of a frbr:Work (that is, the
idea of a particular coin), where your metadata records are really
describing the common features of a particular coin?

If that's close, it seems like the richer metadata is really a sort of
definition of the skos:Concept, so maybe skos:definition would do the
trick? Something like this:

ex:wheatPenny a skos:Concept ;
     skos:prefLabel "Wheat Penny" ;
     skos:definition "Your richer, non RDF metadata document describing
the front and back, years minted, etc."

In XML that might be like:

<skos:Concept about="http://example.org/wheatPenny">
  <skos:prefLabel>Wheat Penny</skos:prefLabel>
  <skos:definition>
Your richer, non RDF metadata document describing the front and back, years minted, etc.
  </skos:definition>
  </skos:Concept>

It might raise an eyebrow to have, instead of a literal value for
skos:definition, another set of structured, non RDF metadata. Better in
that case to go with a document reference, and make your richer metadata
a standalone document with its own URI:

ex:wheatPenny skos:definition ex:wheatPennyDefinition**.xml

<skos:Concept about="http://example.org/wheatPenny">
<skos:definition resource="http://example.org/wheatPenny.xml" />
</skos:Concept>

I'm looking at the Documentation as a Document Reference section in SKOS
Primer : http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/NOTE-skos-primer-20090818/

Again, if I'm following, that might be the closest approach.

Hope that helps,
Patrick