That's awesome, Mita!

"PGCon 2012 will be on 17-18 May 2012 at University of Ottawa, with two days of Tutorials on 15-16 May 2012." - http://pgcon.org/ I, for one, am hoping to finally attend PGCon, but hope to finally get to Code4lib North too.

Wack-a-doodle idea: half day of presentations, followed by hackfestery melting into socializing, followed by another half day of presentations / lightning talks / hackfest followups? The initial half day of presentations might act as ice breakers for newcomers and give something concrete for people to get excited about and hack around in self-organized subgroup fashion.

I think hardware hackery might be appealing to some; between Arduino kits and RaspberryPi and whatnot, there's plenty of possibilities. For me, that would mean learning something new - <shudder>...

Dan

>>> Mita Williams <[log in to unmask]> 2/15/2012 10:07 AM >>>
The third installment of Code4Lib North is a go!
http://wiki.code4lib.org/index.php/North#Third_Meeting:_University_of_Windsor.2C_May_.3F.3F.3F.2C_2012

We have the okay from our administration, we (tentatively) we have a place
to meet up in the University's new Engineering Building, and we have a team
of folks from the Leddy Library who will endeavour to extend the same kind
hospitality that both McMaster and Queen's University demonstrated in the
past.  And there's a chance that we might be able to hold a social event in
the soon to be reopened Walkerville Brewery.

Code4Lib Community: do have any suggestions for what sort of format we
should pursue?  At the moment, I'm thinking along the lines of being two
days with the first being a hackfest and the second being lightning talks
and presentations.  Should we also include an 'ask me anything' on the
first day? the second?  If we get the space we want, we might have access
to a 3D printer.  Should we try to incorporate some hardware hacking?
Also, we're not well versed in livestreaming and archiving video of
presentations here but if it's important to the community, we can give it
our best shot.  How important is live video/archived video to you?

And perhaps, most importantly, what week in May would work best for you?

Here are some mitigating factors (please let me know of any that I may have
missed)

- April 20-22 : GreatLakes THATCamp (London, Ontario)
- May 5th : Weird Al is playing the Detroit Fox Theatre
- June/July : tentative Code4Lib Midwest meetup at Michigan State

Please let me know, on or off-list. Thanks!
Mita