The Music Library Association's Emerging Technologies and Services Committee invites your comments on the second draft of our "Music Discovery Requirements" document.  This paper & appendixes explore and detail the specialized needs of music materials for discovery interfaces of all kinds.  An initial draft of this document was shared via MLA-L (a distribution list for music librarians and those interested in music librarianship) in fall 2011.  We have now completed a second draft, which we are publicizing more broadly.

We invite your comments, thoughts, and suggestions by March 16, 2012.

The document is available at http://musicdiscoveryrequirements.blogspot.com or via the links below.  You may add your comments using the blog's commenting feature, or send them directly to Nara Newcomer, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Music Discovery Requirements Main Document: http://personal.ecu.edu/newcomern/musicdiscoveryrequirementsfeb92012.pdf

Appendix A. Compiled Details of Indexing and Display Requirements - Index-Focused Version [Excel spreadsheet] http://personal.ecu.edu/newcomern/musicdiscoveryrequirementsfeb92012appendixa.xls

Appendix B. Compiled Details of Indexing and Display Requirements - Tag-Focused Version [Excel spreadsheet] http://personal.ecu.edu/newcomern/musicdiscoveryrequirementsfeb92012appendixb.xls

Appendix C. MARC Bibliographic Record Mapping for Content and Carrier [Excel spreadsheet] http://personal.ecu.edu/newcomern/musicdiscoveryrequirementsfeb92012appendixc.xls

-Nara

On behalf of the Music Discovery Requirements Document group:

Nara Newcomer (leader), East Carolina University

Rebecca Belford, University at Buffalo

Deb Kulczak, University of Arkansas

Jennifer Matthews, University of Notre Dame

Misti Shaw, Depauw University

Kimmy Szeto, SUNY Maritime College

Nara Newcomer

Assistant Music Librarian

East Carolina University

Greenville, NC

Nara Newcomer
Assistant Music Librarian
Music Library, Fletcher Music Center, stop 506
Academic Library Services
East Carolina University
Greenville, NC 27858-4520
Phone: (252) 328-1241