Andrea,

I actually think the policy side of this could be very interesting indeed.
For example just in terms of the numbers of copies to store, there is a
diverse set of policies that are currently being implemented (e.g. LOCKSS,
Active- Active, "N" redundant copies)
Also might be interesting to see how policies might differ with scale, e.g
. in terms storage media, frequency of fixity checks etc)

I'm not sure that there are a lot of "best practice", exemplars or just
plain metrics  to guide practitioners in defining their own policies in
this area, Perhaps this could be our focus?

Mark Evans
Digital Archiving Practice Manager
Tessella Inc
51 Monroe Street, Suite 702, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
E: [log in to unmask], T: (1) 240 403-7502, C: (1) 240 401 6256, F:
(1) 240 403-7507

http://www.digital-preservation.com

This message is commercial in confidence and may be privileged. It is
intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this message by anyone else
is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message
in error, please inform the sender immediately. Please note that messages
sent or received by the Tessella e-mail system may be monitored and stored
in an information retrieval system.

"Goethals, Andrea" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: The NDSA infrastructure working group list
02/09/2012 01:45 PM
Please respond to
The NDSA infrastructure working group list

cc

Subject
[NDSA-INFRASTRUCTURE] storage again?

Dear all,

Apart from other projects we're working on, and as a follow-up to our
preservation storage survey, I was wondering if there was any interest in
the group in having in-depth discussions about particular aspects of
preservation storage. I'm interested in both the reasons behind our
policies (number of copies to keep, how often to do integrity testing,
requirements to include tape, etc.) and opinions/experience on some of the
existing and up-and-coming features of modern storage systems (data
reduction/de-duplication features, encryption, inclusion of cloud storage,
WORM storage, federated clusters, etc.). I'll understand though if the
group wants to take a break from storage because we have spent a lot of
time on it.

Thanks,
Andrea

Andrea Goethals
Digital Preservation and Repository Services Manager
Harvard Library Office for Information Systems
(617) 495-3724

write to:
mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link: