Micah,

Thank you for a wonderfully thought out post.  I have been trying to
formulate some of the concerns you mention in 3 and you've done it with
far more authority.

I have another question which might be naive, but, in addition to

loss of access to content because of loss of proprietary encryption
technology/knowledge

would it also not be a possible threat that the entire PKI infrastructure could change over a long enough period of time?  That, for example, current mechanisms for obtaining keys and revocation lists etc. could become unused and unavailable?

Priscilla

(I have a conflict with this afternoon's call and I really hate to miss this discussion.  Thanks Andrea for raising it.)