Hello Infrastructure Team,

In anticipation of our next Infrastructure call (Tuesday, the 28th, 2PM eastern) I wanted to share this interview I did with Bram van der Werf of the Open Planets Foundation. It is part of the Innovation groups interview blog post series, but it is very much on point for our open source project. It will go up on the NDIIPP blog in the near future, but I wanted to share it with everyone here.

It would be great if everyone could give this a quick look before the call as I think this could help inform our process and focus on our Open Source project. In particular, his responses in the later part of the interview get at some of what I think are the kinds of big questions related to open source software and digital preservation infrastructure that I think are at the heart of what we are interested in here. I thought we could potentially use this interview as an opportunity to kick off the open source project.

Below are a few things we can consider on our call:

1. Inviting Bram as our first discussion guest on the Open Source project.
Based on his responses in this interview I think there is some great fodder for discussion here and I imagine we could easily come up with a short list of things we wanted to discuss with him about his responses in the interview.

2. Using this as a model for the rest of the discussions
If this ends up working out well, I could imagine that this sort of model (getting responses to tailored questions in advance, posting them to the NDIIPP blog, and then hosting a call with the individual to go into further depth with their responses) could be a good way to approach moving forward on this particular project.

3. Who else do we want to talk to?
A few of the infrastructure team have added additional suggestions for people that we might want to have these conversations with as part of this project. Feel free to keep adding names or to express an opinion on who you are most interested in hearing from. http://www.loc.gov/extranet/wiki/osi/ndiip/ndsa/index.php?title=Who_we_Might_Want_to_Invite_to_Comment

Karen, I or Jefferson will send out a short agenda for the call shortly, but I wanted to put this out to everyone before then.

Best,

Trevor Owens
Digital Archivist
National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation Program
Office of Strategic Initiatives
The Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave SE
Washington DC 20540-1300