The internal discussion then becomes, "I have a need, and I've written
something that satisfies it. I think it could also be useful to others, but
I'm not going to have time to make major changes or implement features
others need. Should I open source this or keep it to myself? Does freeing
my code come with an implicit requirement to maintain and support it?
Should it?"

I'd vote open source just about every time. If someone sees the need and
has the time to do a functional/requirements analysis and develop a "core
team" around pymarc, more power to them. The code that's already there will
give them a head start. Or they can start from scratch.

Until then, it will remain a fork-patch-and-pull, community-supported
project.