If the original work is truly copyrighted, than any derivative works
will be in violation of copyright unless they are themselves original,
creative expressions--and even then you aren't in the clear. It
doesn't sound like this would pass.

If it's any consolation, an photograph of an artistic work that is out
of copyright can't be copyrighted in the United States. When US
libraries and museums claim copyright on photos of 100 year-old
paintings they are being disingenuous. It's called "copy-fraud".

Other countries--most notably the UK--have different takes on this.

I'm not a lawyer, by the way.

Ben Florin