IF your HTML includes embedded semantic data using HTML5 microdata or
RDFa or something similar (using a standard vocabulary -- the standard
for repositories seems to be DC-based, since that's often all you can
get out of OAI-PMH anyway) --- then web crawling combined with site maps
probably provides about as much functionality as OAI-PMH.

But embedded semantic metadata is key.  However, even in the current
OAI-PMH-considered-standard-best-practice world, the document-level
metadata from repositories is often _extremely_ basic, as well as often
unreliable.  This severely limits the functionality that harvesters can
put harvests to.

So it's not neccesarily really about OAI-PMH vs web crawling. It's about
sufficient and sufficiently reliable metadata.  And even in the OAI-PMH
world, we rarely have it.

Note for instance that OAISter and similar harvesters are _unable to
know_ whether a harvested document is open access full text or not.
That seems like something you'd want to tell people in their search
results right, they might only want stuff that they can actually
access.  But  it's not really possible, becuase most (all?) repo's do
not reveal any standard metadata in their OAI-PMH that would specify this.