Oh, and why do I favor this solution?

Compared to passing input through as is:  You're just prolonging the
pain, something downstream is still going to have a problem with it,
outputting known illegal data is not a good idea.

Compared to heuristically guessing encoding: Heuristically guessing is
okay, but obviously a good deal harder than just replacing bad data with
unicode 'replacement' glyph.  But honestly, I don't _want_ this kind of
mis-encoded data to be completely transparent -- I want it to do
something to make the error visible (without stopping the app or data
transformation process in it's tracks), so catalogers can't possibly
think that the data is just fine.  If you use heuristics to guess,
sometimes those heuristics will fail -- when they do, the catalogers
will think there's something wrong with your logic. "But it works fine
for all the other records that you say have the same problem, why can't
it work fine for this one?"  But this is partially as a result of my
general conclusions, from experience, about trying to heuristically
'autocorrect' bad marc data -- I try to do it as minimally as possible.
It's too easy to get in a long battle with trying to make your
heuristics better, instead of focusing on, you know, actually fixing the
data.

Now, a place where i'd be willing to use heuristics -- a bulk process to
try to actually fix the data in your ILS. Something that goes through
all your marc and flags records that aren't legal for the encoding they
claim to be. If you want to add heuristics there to try to guess what
encoding they really are and automatically fix em, that doesn't seem a
terrible idea to me.  But working around the problem with heuristics at
higher levels does; spend time on actually fixing the bad data instead.
Bad marc data, including illegal char encodings, is a continual
inconvenience, you work around it in your pymarc-based software,
eventually you'll have some other software in a different language that
you have to duplicate your workarounds in.