Hi Michael

On 03/27/12 11:50, Michael Hopwood wrote:
> Hi Graham, do I know you from RHUL?

Yes indeed :-)

> My thoughts on "merged records" would be:
>
> 1. don't do it - use separate IDs and just present links between related manifestations; thus avoiding potential confusions.

In my case, I can't avoid it as it's a specific requirement: I'm doing a
federated search across a large number of libraries, and if closely
similar items aren't merged, the results become excessively large and
repetitive. I'm merging all the similar items, displaying a summary of
the merged bibliographic data, and providing links to each of the
libraries with a copy.  So it's not really FRBRization in the normal
sense, I just thought that FRBRization would lead to similar problems,
so that there might be some well-known discussion of the issues
around... The merger of the records does have advantages, especially if
some libraries have very underpopulated records (eg subject fields).

Cheers
Graham