So you want a non-standard way to display and use what your library has?  What about future moves to another ILS?  What about getting your ILS to work with other systems or web services?  There are reasons for standards.  It is not to make our jobs harder.

Bill Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Matt Amory
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] NON-MARC ILS?

Is there a full-featured ILS that is not based on MARC records?
I know we love complexity, but it seems to me that my public library and its library network and maybe even every public library could probably do without 95% of MARC Fields and encoding, streamline workflows and save $ if there were a simpler standard.
Is this what an Endeca-based system is about, or do those rare birds also use MARC in the background?
Forgive me if the question has been hashed and rehashed over the years...

--
Matt Amory
(917) 771-4157