The Endeca implementation at the Triangle Research Libraries Network (and
indeed, in general) is an *index* of information about items in our
libraries' collections.  The format of the data that's fed into the index
can be (and is) variable: we're about to start loading items from our
digital collections that are MARC-based into our Endeca index, where they
will co-exist with traditional bibliographic information that comes out of
our ILS systems.

Endeca provides a public interface to library holdings: it is not and
could not be an ILS, performing functions like circulation, accounting
control, etc.  In this respect it's more akin to Blacklight that to an ILS.

Will