-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Walter Lewis
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:28 PM

On 2012-03-14, at 2:11 PM, Bess Sadler wrote:

> Q1. Is there an ILS that is not based on MaRC records?
>
> A1. No, not to my knowledge. Yes, marc cataloging can seem tedious and arcane, but we have lots of tools for working with it at this point. All commercial ILS vendors that I am aware of use it, and the open source ILS products I know of also use MaRC.

Further note to this.
a) All the commercial and non-commercial ILS systems used by more than one institution of which I am aware either added MARC processing or died.
b) All of the systems for which I have seen the underpinnings have mapped the important values from the Marc record into various other SQL data structures.  They may store the Marc on the side or  assemble it on the fly at the point of demand.  Marc enters and exits the system but may or may not drive the internals.

Walter Lewis
  who would happily forget everything he learned about Marc; but honestly folks there are lots of things that make less sense in the world

prohibited.