There was a system developed back in the '80s which stored its records internally in a direct Entity-Relationship database and allowed inter-record linking and a rather hyperlink-like data structure. BUT... that was all internal. It allowed some very nice OPAC features and possibly easier cataloguing as authorities (basically subjects and authors) could be created once and linked into a bib record. Externally the system exchanged records in MARC. In fact in at least 15 different flavors of MARC. (It was built in Europe and was used to provide a service as a transformer for converting USMARC to various other MARC for European distribution.)

MARC was, and is an interchange format, so it is the format used to ship bib records between ILSs. It doesn't have to be used internally as the above system (which sold over 3,000 copies and has about 1,000 still active today, although it has been off the market for over 13 years) and InMagic and others show. In fact almost all the commercial systems do, as someone said previously, store the MARC records, not in ISO 2709 format, but shred them into some relational structure of tuples. But MARC is the language they all speak to each other. To change that would need an infrastructure, as also mentioned previously in this thread, to allow existing ILSs and repositories, based on MARC exchange, to interoperate with new ILSs, based on some other exchange. And that does mean hubs and repositories of transforming capabilities with very sophisticated semantics - and there really isn't any commercial case to create them.

And all of this is a long way from what Matt's actual question was.

Peter