If you do continue down the MS SQL road, bear in mind that MS SQL is basically  a fork of Sybase, and they share Transact SQL. So most of the Sybase Transact-SQL documentation will apply. You can find the Sybase Transact-SQL User's Guide at:

http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.help.ase_15.0.sqlug/html/sqlug/title.htm

-Tod