If you're not using any sort of standard request protocol, I'm not sure it matters to use a standardized response protocol.

I mean, you could wrap the answer in a JSON string (which would give you a little more flexibility as far as error conditions, etc. as well as typing the integer), but, since this seems to be an internal thing (is that right?) it's completely at your discretion as to how it should work.

-Ross.