Indiana University-Data to Insight Center (Pervasive
Technology Institute)/University Libraries

The Indiana University (IU) Data to Insight Center, a part of the IU Pervasive
Technology Institute and the IU University Libraries, is offering a two-year
CLIR/DLF Data Curation Fellowship. The Fellow will be based organizationally
within the Data to Insight Center but will focus on collaborative initiatives
between D2I and the IU Libraries. These include cornerstone research projects
of the center such as the National Science Foundation-funded DataNet SEAD
(Sustainable Environment-Actionable Data) Virtual Archive, the HathiTrust
Research Center, and our Sloan funded work on non-consumptive research
methodologies. This fellowship will work on projects that will provide direct
experience in non-consumptive research methodologies, policies, principles,
and applied tools for data curation and management and involvement in novel
applications of data provenance management, as well as working with tools and
methods for mass-scale data mining.

While we will consider applications from a broad range of fields, we are
particularly interested in scholars with a strong background in informatics,
computer science, or information studies; or discipline-based scholars with a
research record in data management, data mining, or analytics but who are
interested in working on other large-scale data cyberinfrastructure projects.
The Fellow will work under the guidance of the Director and Co-Director of the
Data to Insight Center (the latter is also an Associate Dean in the University
Libraries), and will engage with the other faculty and staff of the Center, as
well as with IU System Wide groups working on data management and curation
services. This includes faculty with tenure homes in the IU Libraries, the
School of Library and Information Science, the School of Informatics and
Computing, University Information Technology Services-Research Technologies,
and other centers in the Pervasive Technology Institute.

The Fellow will participate in national meetings with other CLIR/DLF Data
Curation Fellows and will attend at least one relevant conference such as SC
(SuperComputing), ASIS&T RDAP (Research Data Access and Preservation), IDCC
(International Digital Curation Conference) or other related
events In addition, the Fellow will learn about the
different departments and operations of a nationally renowned research
cyberinfrastructure program, a world-class research center, and a nationally
recognized research library that is actively engaging with our university
partners on data management and curation issues. The Fellow will have access
to a variety of mentors during this timeframe and will have ample opportunity
for pursuing scholarship in this area in the form of presentations and papers.
At the end of the first year, the Fellow will have developed an understanding
of many of the issues facing universities and research centers that are
actively involved in data cyberinfrastructure support and will have had an
opportunity to work with scholars involved in the HathiTrust Research Center
and the SEAD Project. By the end of the second year, the Fellow will have
developed a long-range plan for extending the reach of the Center and the
Libraries based on our current research thrusts around large-scale data and
will have made connections within the data curation landscape of libraries,
archives, and computational cyberinfrastructure centers.

Desired Qualifications:

Doctoral work in informatics, computer science, or information studies; or
discipline-based scholars who have worked in areas of data management and data
mining

Experience working with large-scale data and text-mining tools such as Hadoop,
Cassandra, and Monk/SEASR

Excellent project management skills

Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues of diverse backgrounds

Ability to set priorities and manage work and deadlines independently

Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills

Environment: Indiana University is a comprehensive research university located
in Bloomington, Indiana. Founded in 1820, Indiana
University has grown from a small state seminary into the flagship campus of a
great public university with over 42,000 students and almost 3,000 faculty.
Innovation, creativity, and academic freedom are hallmarks of IU Bloomington
and its world-class contributions in research, cyberinfrastructure, and the
arts. The campus covers over 1,800 wooded acres and is distinctive for both
its park-like beauty and an architectural heritage inspired by local
craftsmanship in limestone.

The Indiana University Libraries are a member of the Association of Research
Libraries and the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC), with a
collection of approximately 7.8 million volumes in our
collections. A national leader in digital libraries and
data curation and a founding member of the HathiTrust Digital Library and the
HathiTrust Research Center, the IU Libraries were named an Association of
College and Research Libraries excellence in academic libraries award winner
in 2010.

The Indiana University Data to Insight Center (D2I) undertakes research to
harness the vast stores of digital data being produced by modern computational
resources, allowing scientists and companies to make better use of these data
and find the important meaning that lies within them. D2I creates tools and
visualizations for working with very large data sets, develops methods to
ensure data provenance (quality and authenticity), and builds methods for
listing and discovering data sets. D2I is part of the Pervasive Technology
Institute (PTI). Funded by a $15 million grant from the Lilly Endowment, Inc.,
PTI is dedicated to the development and delivery of innovative information
technology and policy to advance research, education, industry, and society.

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/874/