I don't know about ISO 2709 itself, but the MARC21 implementation of
it refers to octets, aka 8-bit bytes:
http://www.loc.gov/marc/specifications/specrecstruc.html

Characters "may be encoded using one or more than one octet, depending
on the character set. All ASCII characters are encoded using one octet
in the ASCII encoding and the Unicode UTF-8 encoding, thus a character
is equivalent in length to an octet when an element's values are
restricted to ASCII."

--Andy