UTF-8 was the marc standard from the beginning:

http://www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/1998/98-18.html

The first proposals were a character mapping between Unicode and MARC-8
and didn't mention the character encodings, thus the term "UCS" which
was a common term for Unicode at that time. (see:
http://www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/1996/96-10.html). But when it got down to
brass tacks, it was UTF-8, and left open the possibility of UTF-16
(which was still a viable rival to UTF-8 at the time, as I recall.)
UTF-16 had the advantage of every character being of uniform length, but
it also did not cover all of the characters of interest to libraries.

The decision was also made to use byte count rather than character count
in the directory. This was influenced by the UTF-8 decision.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net