From: Code for Libraries [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Peter Murray [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2012 1:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] SEC4LIB or "Hack, Crack, and Frakk" breakout sessions

I remember the related discussion from last month (http://serials.infomotions.com/code4lib/archive/2012/201203/thread.html#777) -- and kudos for bringing it up again -- and I find I'm still of mixed feelings about it.  Security is an important aspect of software development, no argument, but I wonder if there is something separate or distinct for libraries about the topic.  What I do wonder about, though, is if there is a role for a generic-to-libraries security incident response team that would responsibly take in reports of security problems, work with vendors and/or software developers, and publish outcomes.  I could see a need for such a team that was respected in our field and had contacts with people from the vendor community and FOSS projects.

Peter

--
Peter Murray
Assistant Director, Technology Services Development

1438 West Peachtree Street NW
Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30309
Toll Free: 800.999.8558
Fax: 404.892.7879
www.lyrasis.org

LYRASIS: Great Libraries. Strong Communities. Innovative Answers.
They are intended for the named recipient(s) only.
If you have received this email in error please notify the system
manager or  the
sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or
make copies.

** IronMail scanned this email for viruses, vandals and malicious
content. **