Michael,

I had this thought years ago as a way of slowly making microform collections "relevant" again.  As people find things they need in microforms collections (which, admittedly, isn't terribly often anymore), scanning the things they find, briefly adding some metadata about them and keeping a copy for themselves (emailed to themselves or whatever) and a copy is saved locally which could then be cleaned up by student assistants or something.  The metadata/scans go into a database that's part of the larger discovery system and then all of this stuff is somewhat useful again (maybe).

-Ross.