Salvete!

>> This makes a lot of sense for archives and out of copyright stuff

    I agree. I also think it was stated that folks are just scanning a single page. If that's out of a prose book, it's prolly okay.

    I'm not one of your big city lawyers, and I haven't asked Roy's permission, but this here shiny PDF seems to say that stuff is mostly the same for print as it was when I was a whippersnapper.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ21.pdf

    So keep it to less than 10 percent of a boring non fiction book and the copyright goons won't come for you. Experiment with poetry, articles, and music at your own risk. ;)

Cheers,
Brooke