Sorry, a more useful response would have been - have you tried asking the CIDOC-CRM people? www.cidoc-crm.org/ - it seems to me unbelievable that they haven't hit up against this problem in their extensive work on museum / heritage / history ontologies.

The LIDO schema I'm working with has explicit relations between parts of places in various shapes and forms, and it is based directly on CIDOC-CRM, so there is some precedent there. I haven't looked up where the relationships come from but you could potentially derive some should they not yet be in use in someone's code list (probably in a museum context?)...

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ethan Gruber
Sent: 08 April 2012 15:44
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Representing geographic hiearchy in linked data

Hi,

Thanks for the info, but it's not quite what I'm looking for.  We've established authority control for ancient places, but I'm looking for an ontology I can use to describe the child:parent relationship between city and region or region and larger region (in any way that isn't dcterms:partOf).  Geonames has defined their own vocabulary that can't really be reused in other geographic contexts, e.g. with gn:countryCode, gn:parentCountry.

Thanks,
Ethan