From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ford, Kevin
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 10:50 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Author authority records to create publication feed?

Hi Paul,

I can't really offer any suggestions but to say that this is a problem area presently.  In fact, there was a recent workshop, held in connection with the Spring CNI Membership Meeting, designed specifically to look at this problem (and author identity management more generally).  You can read more about it from the announcement here [1], but the idea was to bring a number of the larger actors (Web of Science, arXiv, ORCID, ISNI, VIAF, LC/NACO, and a few more) involved in managing authorial identity together to learn about the work being done, and to discuss improved ways, to disambiguate scholarly identities and then diffuse and share that information within and across the library and scholarly publishing realms.  Clifford Lynch, who moderated the meeting, will publish a post-workshop report in a few weeks [2].  Perhaps of additional interest, [2] also contains a link to the report of a similar workshop held in London about international author identity.

Inititatives like ISNI [3] and ORCID [4], which mint identifiers for (public, authorial) identities, and VIAF, which has done so much to aggregate the authority records of the participating libraries (while also assigning them an identifier), are essential to disambiguating one identity from another and assigning unique identifiers to those identities.  For identifiers like ORCIDs, the faculty member's sponsoring organization might acquire the ORCID for him/her, after which the faculty member will/may know and use the identifier in situations such as grant applications, publishing, etc. (though it might also be early days for this activity also).   Part of the process, however, is diffusing the identifier across the library and scholarly publishing domains, all the while matching it with the correct identity (and identifer) in another system.  That said, when ISNIs and ORCIDs and, perhaps, VIAF identifiers start to make their ways into Web of Science, arXiv, LC/NACO file, an!

 d many other places, we - developers looking to creating RSS feeds of author publications across services but without having to deal with same-name problems or variants - might then have the hook we need to generate RSS feeds for author publications from such services as JSTOR, EBSCO, arXiv, Web Of Science, etc.

Alternatively, you'd have to get your faculty members to submit their entire publication history to academia.edu (as Ethan suggested), after which the community would have to request an RSS feed of that history, or an institutional repository (as Chad suggested), but I understand these types of things are an uphill battle with (often busy, underpaid) faculty.

Cordially,

Kevin

[1] http://www.cni.org/news/cni-workshop-scholarly-id/
[2] https://mail2.cni.org/Lists/CNI-ANNOUNCE/Message/113744.html