On Apr 25, 2012, at 3:28 PM, BWS Johnson wrote:

> http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ21.pdf
>
>     So keep it to less than 10 percent of a boring non fiction book and the copyright goons won't come for you. Experiment with poetry, articles, and music at your own risk. ;)

Actually, the problem with this interpretation (and my original interpretation) is that there's no guarantee that the library owns the materials it's then distributing, which, I suppose is also the issue that ILL runs into.

If there was some way to limit the cache to things the library held /and/ you could keep the percentage copied within the realm of fair use, I think you'd probably be fine.

While the database/holdings/compliance part wouldn't be so bad, I don't see how on earth you'd be able to capture the metadata to actually populate it.

Still, I like Roy's idea and well, WE GOTTA DO SOMETHING WITH THOSE MICROFORMS.

-Ross.