We should put in something...

How about:

---
Panel: Assessing and Mitigating Bit-Level Preservation Risks

Curators who are responsible for ensuring long-term access to digital
material must understand and confront a broad spectrum of risks.
Advances in technology and infrastructure for digital storage offer
new opportunities -- but complicate evaluation and management of
bit-level preservation risk: Digital assets can be replicated by a
variety of third-party ‘cloud’ providers; assets can be compressed
and/or encrypted; and  the integrity of assets can be audited at
varying frequencies using a variety of procedures. How do these
options affect preservation risk and cost? What is the most
cost-effective set of storage choices to achieve a desired level of
risk from bit-level loss?

This panel explores these questions -- highlighting known trade-offs,
current practices, and areas of uncertainty that require additional
research.  The panel will draw on work by the NDSA Infrastructure
group and its members, including interviews of cloud providers, a
survey of storage practices, expert discussions, and  ongoing
research.
---

We could organize the panel around 3 mid-length presentations and
discussion, have a round-table discussion (with a short intro/summary)
or a set of lightning talks followed by discussion/round table. I
think the last would be more fun... but we'd more people from the
group to volunteer...

I'll step up to chair and present 1 mid/lightning talk if desired. Any
other volunteers? Karen? Andrea? Mark (# of copies?)? Trevor (survey
results?)? Others?

What do y'all think?

thanks,

Micah

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Bailey, Jefferson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I think the storage report, our "topics" conversations, and maybe our OSS work (admittedly, still developing) are all candidates for a poster or lightening talk. I'd help put something together if people are interested.
>
> Thanks,
> Jefferson

Micah Altman, Ph.D. <http://micahaltman.com>           Twitter: @drmaltman
Director of Research -- MIT Libraries; Head/Scientist, Program on
Information Science
Non-Resident Senior Fellow, Brookings Institution
"Entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate" - Doctor Invincibilis
(Corollary, "Ad indicia spectate.")