Dear all,

In our last call we mentioned an activity started by the Content working group that was discussed at the March 29-30 NDSA planning meeting. It's an effort to define 3 progressive levels of digital preservation (level 1 - silver, level 2 - gold, and level 3 - platinum), by their intent, characteristics and supported activities. These levels could be used in various ways including providing a way to prioritize limited resources on meeting particular requirements. Now that the content working group has started off this effort, a cross working group team is forming to further develop and review these levels. So far there are a few people from the Infrastructure working group (including me) and I believe some people from the Content working group who started this project involved. This sound very 'standards & practices' related to me so please send me an email if you would like to participate in this effort. For background reading see the documents on the Content working group's part of the wiki at:

http://www.loc.gov/extranet/wiki/osi/ndiip/ndsa/images/b/b8/Outline_for_levels-draft_oct5.doc and http://www.loc.gov/extranet/wiki/osi/ndiip/ndsa/images/1/17/Digitization_chart.xls

thanks,
Andrea

Andrea Goethals
Digital Preservation and Repository Services Manager
Harvard Library
(617) 495-3724