On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 04:34:47PM -0400, Ross Singer wrote:
> On May 23, 2012, at 4:22 PM, Kevin Ford wrote:
>
> > Don't know what to say.  Crawling through the source for "file" at [1], the pattern matching code as in place as of Sept 2011.  It could be present earlier than Sept 2011, but I stopped hunting for it.  The earliest it would have made its way into the magic db would have been April 2011.
> >
> > Perhaps OpenBSD is using some custom branch of "file", haven't updated the db, etc.
>
> As Stuart pointed out, some implementations are slow to update the db.  OSX, for example, also just says "data" (hence my question on the output).

adding FreeBSD's magicfile from this commit on a users $HOME

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-vendor/2011-October/000851.html

For my next trick I will try to remember that I need to do that.

./fxk

--
If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs,
then the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.