The museum (and rare-book-archive) world probably already has solutions for this, given that displaying artifacts in the museum requires constant monitoring of temperature and humidity. Of course, I expect those solutions to be expensive due to the critical nature of the components contained therein.

To summarize, it's probably been done before, so building your own might not necessarily be the way to go.

But really, this is just a thought experiment, isn't it? :)

--Joel

Joel Richard
Lead Web Developer, Web Services Department
Smithsonian Institution Libraries | http://www.sil.si.edu/