I'm quickly learning that the hard way! Either vendor lock-in is to blame
for this or the fact that many of these systems predate the web and rely
on esoteric protocols.

I finally ended up screen scraping with curl and using a regex to extract
the title.

The url looks like this:
http://catalog.library.miami.edu/search/c?QA76.575%20.T47%202009

I'm pretty certain that url parameters map to Z39.50.

In this case the option values in our search form are the parameters:

<option value="X" selected="selected">Keyword</option>
<option value="t">Title</option>
<option value="a">Author</option>
<option value="d">Subject</option>
<option value="c">LC Call Number</option>
<option value="l">Local Call Number</option>
<option value="g">SuDocs Number</option>
<option value="i">ISSN . ISBN Number</option>
<option value="o">OCLC Number</option>
<option value="m">Music Publisher Number</option>

Thanks Godmar!

Juan Madrigal

Web Developer
Web and Emerging Technologies