We Are What We Do is looking for an experienced, energetic Digital Director to
take hold of our portfolio of digital projects, as well as our approach to
devising new ones, and run with them.

Digital development is at the heart of our work to change behaviours in
positive ways and affect major social and environmental issues. This is
reflected in an existing portfolio of digital behaviour change projects, such
as Historypin and Internet Buttons, and our continuing commitment to
generating a stream of successful, powerful products and tools.

Our existing projects and future plans are made up of big social ambitions --
we aim to harness the potential of new technology to make a difference to a
massive mainstream audience, intelligently, creatively and practically. We
want someone who shares our ambitions and to help lead the organisation into
the next phase of its growth.

With 8 years experience, We Are What We Do, a not-for-profit company, sets out
to reinvent the sector of creative behaviour change by applying our
"Incidental Effect" approach -- which builds positive behaviors into useful,
desirable products -- to major social and environmental problems.

We Are What We Do's digital potential has also been shown both by our rapid
international growth and our racking up of accolades. In the last year alone,
our innovative community engagement and user interface design has earned us
awards around the world, including a Webby, a Lovie, and a Tech4Good
Innovation Award.

Could you be the right person to join our team of dedicated, creative
individuals? Someone who is constantly coming up with ways of improving things
and knows how to get them done? Someone who's a perfectionist, who sees every
target as the start of the next challenge? Someone with big expectations, who
thinks in terms of millions of visitors, billions of page views, cabinets of
awards, new frontiers crossed, boundaries broken, radical new ways of doing
things? If so read on…

**Main role**

The Digital Director will lead all of We Are What We Do's digital work by
redefining the digital strategy, reshaping and growing the development team
and embedding processes that deliver high quality work efficiently.

**Responsibilities**

  * leading development and progression of We Are What We Do's digital activities, including:
    * creating and guiding overall digital strategy
    * identifying areas for potential development, including new product opportunities and upgrades to existing offerings
    * identifying and/or reviewing potential collaborations with partners and clients
    * creation and sign-off of technical briefs and specifications
    * ultimate technical decision-making responsibility
  * managing external relationships
    * managing technical relationships with clients, partners and suppliers
    * providing technical input and expertise in communications with clients, partners and suppliers, including in all pitches and preparations for new projects
  * overseeing development team resource, including:
    * management and development of all engineering team members
    * planning and allocating workload and resource
  * managing internal relationships
    * reporting to CEO and Managing Director regularly on activities of the digital team
    * reporting, if and when necessary, to the Board
    * liaising with the rest of the We Are What We Do teams (particularly Community, Content, and Creative) to allocate workload and resource
  * overseeing internal systems:
    * managing internal communications
    * software revision control
    * project-management
    * bug tracking
    * other communications systems and resources, including analytics tools and internal evaluations, QA and internal standards/conventions
**Requirements**

  * Minimum five years of experience managing technical teams of at least 10 people and diverse platforms (including Python, Google App Engine, MySQL, iOS, Android)
  * Ability to work with a diverse group of stakeholders across multiple time zones (we currently have offices in London, San Francisco, and Sydney, which often requires out-of-office-hours calls)
  * Experience of building, optimising, maintaining and extending large scale web infrastructure that is:
    * scalable
    * fault-tolerant
    * multi-lingual
    * multi-platform (web, mobile, API)
    * multi-sites
  * Proven track record of leading product development teams, including oversight of experts in fields ranging from UX design and experience to visual design.
  * Familiarity with Linked Data and Semantic Web technologies
  * Excellent verbal and written communications skills
  * A penchant for tea and cake preferable. An ability to contribute to Spotify playlists themed around random subjects mandatory.
**Applications**

Please send your CV and cover letter explaining why you are interested in the
role and why you are best placed for the job to [log in to unmask] by June
1st.

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/960/