Having done my time working for in both the research
and administrative side university computing, I would also have to ask if
the development is within the library's competence, or if it is something
that would normally be handled by one of the other groups.

If it's administrative computing, charging for special projects seems to be
quite common.  It often ends up with departments going it alone, or
contracting with commercial firms to do the work.  If it's something like
developing web applications, and the library IT group is staffed up to
handle the extra work well  without impacting core library activities, then
it is worth making a bid for the work; I would advise using a cost-plus
model, and using a very agile process, with very short POD-cycles (short
PODs make cost-plus an easier sell).

Watch out for central IT to make counter moves; for example, they may start
a whisper campaign that the library IT groups must be overstaffed if they
can have all these spare bodies lying around.  Preemptive top-cover at the
level where the whispering would be targeted would be wise.  This is easier
if central IT has a poor reputation, and if it is the would-be customer who
seeks leave to approach library IT.  If using the library IT dept appears
clearly cheaper than the outside consultants would otherwise be, then the
top-cover should be easy.  The university librarian should confirm the
top-cover, and should keep them informed to avoid surprises. Always leave
the top-cover with a covered line of retreat, but make sure that they have
a sufficient stake in the upside to keep them from pulling out early.

Also, as Jonathan says, make sure that support arrangements are baked in to
the initial agreement.  If you're set up for long term preservation
services, adding long term support for keeping a slice of server running
should be something  you're set up for anyway.

If any of this involves implementing a Data Management Plan, get involved
during the grant development, as funding for implementing the DMP can be
requested.

If there are a number of people who at one point worked for central IT but
now work for library IT, ensure that they are present or geared up in ready
reserve for any meetings where ambush is a real possibility.  Also ensure
that they use   sources for proper IPB.

// Reboot, Hell - we just got here.