Wholeheartedly agree.

Simply asking permission implies whoever you're asking has more business
determining whether you have the right to do something than you do. It also
implies you expect them to offer an opinion. People who don't know what's
going on say "no" in such situations. The result is everything gets bogged
down and no work gets done.

A much better way to go is to use the "front page test." If your picture is
plastered on the front page of the newspaper along with an explanation of
what you did, are you sorry (this is not the same as asking if someone
disapproves)?

In the case at hand, your project should not be jeopardized if a bonehead
among us doesn't get that info they make freely available on the open Web
might actually be used...

kyle