On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 08:05:26PM -0400, William Denton wrote:
> I have a fairly basic web service I want to hack on that would
> manage some stuff (not too much) and feed out JSON in response to
> request.  I'd like to do it in Python so I can get to know the
> language.
>
> StackOverflow is filled with comparisons of Python web frameworks,
> but I wanted to get the sense from all the Python hackers here about
> what framework might be a good one given their personal experiences.
>
> Django is very full-featured and well documented, and would make a
> complex project simple, but I think has more than I need; Flask
> looks pretty simple and could suit the basic service I want to do;
> web2py looks pretty rich.
>
> I know this isn't a particularly answerable question and the best
> thing to do is to try one and hack on it, and do it right the second
> time, but since future Python work might involve RDF and linked
> data, and there are so many Python people here whose opinion I
> value, I thought I'd throw it out.

I would recommend Bottle [0] if you find the frameworks you've mentioned
above wanting. I found the documentation pretty easy You write functions
or methods to handle routes. Routing can be
done through regexes if you want. There is a template system that you
can replace if you really want to.

Failing that webpy[1] which I haven't used/looked at in
ages but what I remember of it is it `stayed out of the way`

Cheers,
./fxk
[0] http://bottlepy.org/docs/dev/
[1] http://webpy.org/

--
Dentist, n.:
	A Prestidigitator who, putting metal in one's mouth, pulls