A responsive catalogue would definitely be interesting to see. I
imagine what can make this very difficult to do is the fact that many
(if not most) libraries have a proprietary ILS/OPAC, which can make it
very difficult to customize.

I've seen some mobile versions of faceted interfaces (mostly from
databases and discovery tools, such as Summon and EBSCO), but none
that are responsive. Nevertheless, if you're looking for ideas, I
think these interfaces can give you a good idea of what else has been
done at least at the small screen device size.