If you're just wanting a web server for a single site, having a
physical dedicated server is probably not really needed. But if it's a
requirement to have stuff, i'd look to buy something that I can set up
a small VM setup that I could deploy multiple webservers as needed, in
which case you probably could do worse than a Dell Poweredge running
VMWare.

An alternative would be to buy a Mac Mini with  OS X Server
installed...you could run Ubuntu on that too.

Having said that... I can understand why some would see using
"cloud-based" systems as "outsourcing", but there is more to it  than
just getting out of physical server management.. There's a lot of
development platforms coming together now that offer a set of services
that make developing and managing web applications wwwwaaayyyy easier.
  For Drupal, I'd suggest looking at Acquia, as they have a pretty
good platform for Drupal development and hosting.

b,chris.