Matthew sez, "My rule of thumb: design in the browser, and add break points
when your site starts to look stupid."

Totally. I'd add that the real benefit from using a boilerplate is rapid
development. If you have the resources and the time, I'd always argue in
favor of rolling your own responsive grid.  That's pretty rarely the case,
of course. Using and customizing a framework has its own catches.

Actually, I _just_ used bootstrap as a crutch to redesign the website for a
public library (I designed their first site a couple years back) and I was
able to put it into production fairly quickly over the weekend. My big
epiphany was that in order to deviate from the stock bootstrap look (you'll
notice that most of the sites showcased on "Built with Bootstrap" look ...
like bootstrap!), I spent way too much time wrangling with the dense
built-in styles - and, on top of that, I was forced to work with markup that
IMHO is bloated with DIVs. In hindsight, I might have actually saved time
using a much more barebones grid (like Skeleton).

One of the trade-offs for rapid development is that you might be
bottle-necking yourself into someone else's style - and worse, someone
else's code. Then again, if that code belongs to a gang like twitter - then
it's probably better to just go with it : ).

So long,

Michael
// Front-End Librarian
// twitter: @gollydamn