In May we (University of Wisconsin - Madison Libraries) released a front end to our catalog that is responsive. It's built on blacklight with twitter bootstrap. It works well regardless of screen size (tested by opening in all browsers and minimizing and maximizing the width of the window). With fluid responsive design you design for ranges, < 480, 480-768, 768-980, 980-1280, 1280-1366, 1366-1920 etc. I haven't watched Matthew's talk but the benefit of using bootstrap is that 95% of the work is done for us and we just have to add a bit of custom CSS for look. You can take a look at the responsive design here:

http://search.library.wisc.edu

We released it in the summer so we had a few months to tighten it up so come Fall the students will find a much better experience with their catalog.

Our mobile facetting is similar to Amazons but isn't overly simplified. The system has overall been testing well with patrons across the spectrum (undergrads to grads in various fields to faculty and staff). I suppose at some point we should write a paper or at least have a talk about this.

Ryan