 > is there an open search to get one to the desired records in the first
 > place?
-- I'm not certain this will fully address your question, but try these
two sites:

Website: http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets
Example: http://tinyurl.com/dx3h5bg

Website: http://linter.structured-data.org/
Example: http://tinyurl.com/bmm8bbc

These sites will extract the data, but I don't think you get your choice
of serialization.  The data are extracted and displayed on the resulting
page in the HTML, but at least you can *see* the data.

Additionally, there are a number of "tools" to help with microdata
extraction here:

http://schema.rdfs.org/tools.html

Some of these will allow you to output specific (RDF) serializations.

HTH,

Kevin